Buffalo County Commissioners to Hear 2022 Property Assessment Protests | Local News

EDITOR’S NOTE: In recent years, the Buffalo County Board of Commissioners has paid arbitrators to hear landowner assessment protests, but that’s changing this year. Rather than hire arbitrators, the board decided to sit as an equalization board to hear the protests. In preparation, the council issued a press release to alert owners to the protest process. The period for landowners to file protests is June 1-30. The board then has until July 25 to hear individual protests and decide on assessments. The press release from the council is below:

KEARNEY – As the Buffalo County Equalization Board begins to prepare for protest season, the board said it wanted to help explain the protest process and hopefully answer any questions residents may have. have.

In January and February, every taxpayer whose value changed should have been mailed a yellow card showing the “preliminary” value of the property.

At the end of May or the beginning of June, each taxpayer who has undergone a change in value will again receive a yellow postcard indicating the proposed value of the property in 2022. Once the taxpayer has received this card, they will have until June 30 to file a value protest if desired.

People also read…

Before filing a protest, there are a few things to consider:

– Could you sell your house at the value at which it is appraised?

– Has your property been sold recently?

– Is your value similar to the recent sale price?

– Have you recently made any changes to your property?

– New additions or new buildings?

– Have you recently improved the condition of your property, such as renovations or major updates?

If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, you may want to reconsider filing a protest. These questions will be asked of you during your hearing.

If you believe that the value of the appraiser is not correct, it is up to the taxpayer to prove it by research. The council said it was not enough to say, “My value is too high.” The taxpayer must prove with research showing that the value is incorrect.